Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Scare

Memorial Day weekend started out to be so much fun! We went to Tra's uncle's house at Lake Hartwell on Saturday. I spent most of the day relaxing in the sun and riding on the boat. We ended up hanging out there until about 11 o'clock that night. Saturday was so much fun that we ended up going back on Sunday. (Let me just make a side note that I spent the whole day in the sun on Saturday with sunscreen on and DID NOT get sun burnt.) On Sunday I spent the first couple of hours that we were there on this float: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=14206&pdesc=Overtons_Colosseum_Island_8_person&aID=600J2&merchID=4006  It was so much fun! It's the greatest float ever! It would be fun to just take to the lake and sit in it all day. You wouldn't even need a boat! Anyway, after a couple of hours in the float I started to feel like I was burning so I got out and sat in the shade the rest of the day. Well, it wasn't too long before I noticed that I had gotten absolutely fried! It wasn't until later that night that I realized it was one of the worst sun burns I've ever had! This is a picture of the sunburn the next day.


I guess pregnancy hormones make your body do some weird things because never would I have ever thought that 2 hours in the sun with sunscreen on would do this to me. So, Monday was a pretty rough day. Aside from the terrible pain of the sunburn, I was really nauseous and dizzy all day. I couldn't even use the bathroom without having to lay down in the bathroom floor because I felt like I was going to pass out. I just assumed it was due to my sunburn until around 6:00 when I got the most intense shooting pain in my left arm. It was from my elbow to my hand and felt like it was a sharp pain a vein or something. So, with the arm pain added, I was finally a little freaked out. I called my OBGYN emergency line and was connected with a Triage Nurse who got in touch with the doctor on call from my group. My doctor instructed me to lay of my left side and drink a liter of water as quickly as I could. She told me that she was going to called me back in 30 minutes and see how I felt. Well, 30 minutes later the dizziness was gone but the arm pain was worse. She then told me that she wanted to me to go the emergency room as soon as possible because it could be due to dehydration or could be a blood clot! I was officially scared to death and crying! Not only was I worried about myself but I was terrified something was going to happen to the baby.

So, there I was no make up, no shower, not having brushed my teeth looking ROUGH on my way to the emergency room. After just minutes there I could tell that place was AWFUL! Everyone who works there is SO RUDE! I told the lady everything that had happened and what my doctor told me to do and her response was "So you're here because your sunburned? Your arm really has nothing to do with you being pregnant so why would your OB have sent you here?" I was pissed. After quite a while of sitting there waiting we just decided to leave. Everyone else that we talked to (some were worse than me) had been sitting there for at least 3 hours. I decided that I would go home and if I got worse I would just call 911 so I wouldn't have wait in that dreadful place!

After speaking with an OB nurse I was told to drink as much Gatorade or Pedialyte as I could. Apparently water wouldn't cut it. I needed the potassium and other nutrients in Gatorade. So after about 8 Gatorades and some water I was feeling much better the next morning. However, I was still really weak and still had a mild arm pain. I took the day off from work and laid on the couch literally ALL day. I only got up for bathroom breaks. I called my OB back and was told that since I am feeling better and since I don't have any severe abdominal cramping that the baby should be okay and that there was no need to come in for an ultrasound. I am happy to say that I am feeling much better today except for my sunburn which still pretty much looks the same. I have used an entire bottle of aloe and am no where close to not needing it.

I think my lesson in all of this is you can never predict how a pregnant body is going to react. Also, that even though I was drinking a pretty good amount of water for a normal person, it's not enough for my pregnant self! I guess I'm just going to have to drink double to amount of water I would normally. I'm learning....slowly but surely!

No comments:

Post a Comment