Thursday, November 17, 2011

Car seat inspection

I know many people out there who have children or who are expecting children think it's a totally ridiculous idea to get the car seat inspected. Trust me, I get it. I used to pick up and babysit my niece and nephews all the time, so I would have considered myself to have a pretty good bit of experience with strapping the car seat in, etc. As a matter of fact, if my friend, Dani hadn't told me to go, I probably wouldn't have. Boy am I glad I did though. I had the car seat strapped in right with the seat belt, but they showed me a much more secure way to strap the base down. The base I have comes with these seat belt looking straps that you can latch onto this metal bar that is underneath the seat. There are these slits in my leather than you can stick the latches through and they actually attach to the metal bar. They did say that it was still perfectly safe to use the seat belt, but it seems soooo much more secure the way they did it. Aside from showing me exactly how the baby should be strapped in, where the straps should fall, how tight it should be, how to take off the fabric and how to wash it, etc. they told me some interesting tips that made the trip worth while in itself. They told me that my car seat was only good for 6 years, which seems fine because hopefully I will be done with having kids in 6 years. The most important thing I learned though, is that if you have ANY type of wreck, whether it be a tiny fender bender or a big wreck, the car seat is NO GOOD anymore. The good news is that insurance will replace it though. The girl told me that you may have to fight with the insurance company a little bit, but they will replace the car seat for free.

Overall, I would recommend everyone go and get this done. I would just about guarantee you that a lot of people driving around don't have their children strapped in correctly. It only took me about 15 minutes, so what's the harm?

Here is the link where you can make an appointment to get it done. http://www.safekidsupstate.org/car_seat_checks.php

No comments:

Post a Comment