So, after at least an hour of reading reviews on breast pumps I have come to the conclusion that you can get a great pump for $150 or less IF you rarely need to pump and IF you have plenty of time to do it. Otherwise, you are MUCH better off going with a more expensive double pump (around $300). The reviews were great on the Medela Swing pump I was registered for but they said it takes about 20 minutes per side. Who has the time to pump for 40 minutes twice a day at work???? Not this girl! Especially since I'm in a cubicle, so I'm going to have to go in a conference room or something. With a nicer, more expensive pump you can do both sides in 10 minutes apparently! It will be an expensive investment, but since I plan on breastfeeding for 8-9 months it should be well worth it! I decided to go with the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump.
I know this may be too much info for some of you who read my blog, but I just thought I would save other soon-to-be moms out there the hour or so I took to research this.
Also, if anyone is wondering about strollers....here is thebump.com's top 10 list for strollers: http://pregnant.thebump.com/pregnancy/baby-registry/articles/top-10-strollers.aspx?MsdVisit=1
I registered for the Britax B-Agile in black because the reviews were great and it wasn't $800 like the others were. It's only $250 and seems fairly affordable for all of the features. My main goal in a stroller was to have one that I don't have to click the infant car seat into. This stroller fits a newborn up to 55lbs, which is great. This should be the only stroller I need. Period. I didn't want to get a car seat/stroller combo then have to get a jogging stroller on top of that for rougher terrain. It just seems like a waste of money to me. This way, the items are more expensive, but I'll end up spending less because I will be buying less.
20 hours ago

You're so right about the top of the line pump being worth the money. I nursed my son for a full year, but the early weeks were super, super hard. I had mini-goals of 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months; it really helped me push through the tough nights.
ReplyDeleteThat said, if you don't want to spend $300 on breastfeeding gear right away, you might think about renting a pump from the hospital. (The lactation consultants at GHS are aMAZing. Saved my life!) All the parts you get are new, obviously, but the motor itself is rented. It might help if you need a little time to see if breastfeeding is going to work for you.
Also, my employer rented a medical grade pump from GHS that worked SO fast. Like, even faster than the top of the line pump I had. I was done in 7 minutes flat! You might think about asking HR, if they're interested, if they could do that. They get tax write-offs for such benefits and it doesn't cost them much. Saves them time, too, since you're back at your desk more quickly.
Sorry for the novel, but wanted to share!
Thanks for the suggestions! That's why I do these posts. I will take any advice I can get!
ReplyDelete